Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Watts Riots

The advent of television had a major affect on the way Americans viewed their nation and the political issues confronting America. Please watch this video clip of the 1965 Watts riots. What would your own reaction have been after seeing clips like this on the evening news? Remember that the riots broke out just days after the passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, a supplement to the earlier Civil Rights Act of 1964. Do you think this is just a coincidence, or do you see a possible connection?

4 comments:

  1. Devin Flinn:

    Frankly, had it been me at the time, I would think of the rioters as criminals, lawless, dangerous, etc. HOWEVER, due to the constant injustice of whites over blacks at the time, I am not surprised at all the rioting broke out as severely as it did. The Voting Rights Act was passed just days before the riots, but personally the only connection I would piece is perhaps some whites treated blacks worse due to this. Many conservative whites would want the way things were to stay the same. They did not want equality. That said, the racist and angry people may have pushed harder against the black race, leading to such a violent outbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After seeing this I would think that the Watts rioters would be dangerous and angry. I wouldn't mess with them. But since this was right after the Civil Rights Acts I understand why the riots broke out with the unfair treatment between whites and blacks.

    Samantha Chastain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have avoided the area of the riots. Personally, I don't think America considered blacks' feelings at the time and we simply pushed way too far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand why these people were rioting. They just want equality. I would have been shocked and scared but also proud that they were standing up for themselves. Its complicated, I don't think that rioting solves problems but I understand the anger in these people and having to let it out.

    ReplyDelete